Plan your tour of the Fish Church’s 11-acre campus to include, besides the church and tower, the following creative artifacts and buildings
Stamford Historical Wall
Embedded along Bedford Street stonewall are a series of tablets. They recognize significant events, institutions, and people in Stamford’s history from 1641 to 1975.
Memorial Walk starts in front of Fellowship Hall and continues to the main entrance to the Fish Church. Fixed in the walk are more than 100 stones representing spiritual giants of the Judeo-Christian tradition.
Walking from the Narthex to the office-classroom building, the Memorial Garden is on your left between the glass passageway and the church. Two walls in the Garden contain plaques with the names of deceased church members who wanted to be remembered here .
Stained Glass Medallions
On the glass wall in front of the office and classrooms are 18 stained glass medallions. They date back to 1883 and came in 1955 from the back wall of First Presbyterian’s church on Broad Street.
Outside the glass wall in the Courtyard is Celtic cross in memory of soldiers killed in World War II. The church’s youth group raised money to buy the cross.
At the end of the glass wall corridor is a chapel designed by Willis N. Mills, a partner in the firm of Sherwood, Mills, and Smith. (Sherwood, Mills, and Smith designed the church complex leading from the Narthex. Included in the design are the office and classroom complex, the Chapel, and Fellowship Hall.)
Inside the chapel are the following:
On the left wall a wooden cross made from a limb of the Pilgrim Oak Tree in St. Edmund, England. Hand-forged nails from the burned-out Cathedral of Coventry hold it together. Along the edge of the cross are wrought iron letters AMDG. They stand for Ad Majorem Dei Glorium, a motto of the Jesuits. A literal translation is “For the Greater Glory of God”.
On the right chapel wall is a three-dimensional figure of an angel. It is made of painted cut canvas stretched over a wood frame. “Love one another” is written on a scroll below the angel’s feet. The artist is Janet Folsom and the angel is a gift in memory of Sam Bronson.
Behind the communion table hangs a gilded cross from the church at Broad Street. The cherry wood table served as the communion table at the Broad Street church. Above the table is a stained-glass mural designed by Matthew Wysock of New Haven and installed by the Loire firm. It has several abstract symbols including “The Plants That Grow”, “A Flying Bird”, and “The Star of Heaven”.
Outside the chapel is an extraordinary assembly of stones
There are 112 stones from 37 different countries. Senior Pastor George Stewart, who as a military chaplain in World War II, traveled throughout Europe and the Middle East, collected them. Starting from left to right there are stones from Bethlehem, Nazareth, Jerusalem, and from places St. Paul visited on his missionary journeys. Stones representing the Reformation came from Germany, Holland, France, Britain, and Switzerland. Abbeys and cathedrals in many parts of the world, including Notre Dame, Canterbury, and Coventry, are represented. There are stones from great universities including Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Glasgow, Oxford, and Cambridge. Finally there is a stone from the Church of St. George, in Stamford, England.
At the south end of the church complex is a large fan-shaped assembly hall. The Hall can hold 250 persons and is equipped with a deep stage, kitchen, and serving facilities.